Associate Director, Pharmacology
A well-known global pharmaceutical company with leading products across various therapeutic areas is looking to hire a Associate Director of the in vitro safety assessment & ion channel pharmacology. This vacancy is an exciting opportunity to work at a top global pharmaceutical company that has a workforce of more than 6,700 employees across multiple sites in the UK.
As the UK Associate Director of the in vitro safety assessment & ion channel pharmacology team within the Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Group in Cambridge, UK, you will pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do - join us.
- Reporting directly to the Global Head of the Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Department you will set the vision, build and lead a team in generating pre-clinical plate-based in vitro safety assessment data to predict and understand compound (and novel drug modalities) liability at key safety-related targets. You will also be accountable for Discovery Sciences' ion channel pharmacology capabilities for both safety and efficacy studies.
- As the Associate Director, you will lead and drive a high-performing team to provide early, impactful safety and ion channel biology insight to projects across the global IMEDs, through a combination of quantitative in vitro pharmacological, 'omics, mass-spectrometry and high content imaging approaches.
- You will be a scientific leader, able to represent the discipline across a broad range of therapeutic projects and global initiatives within Discovery Sciences and IMEDs, and also externally.
- You will drive scientific and technical innovation, including through external collaboration and partnership.
- You will also be a key member of the Global Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Leadership Team, participating in setting and maintaining the strategic direction, scientific quality and efficiency of the department.
Skills and Requirements:
- Formal training and proven expertise in a biology-based discipline (pharmacology, ion channel biology, toxicology)
- Proven track record of recruiting and developing a world-class group, and optimising team performance.
- Proven track record of career progression, and significant external reputation in pharmacology and/or pre-clinical safety, gained through professional recognition, external presentation and publication in high-impact journals
- Extensive experience in pre-clinical drug discovery, with deep pharmacology knowledge, coupled with a strong safety expertise in one or more target organ areas (e.g. hepatotoxicity, cardiotoxicity).
- Extensive knowledge of pre-clinical safety studies within an academic or industrial environment
- Extensive experience of establishing and leading external collaborations and technology change projects to advance organisational capability
- Track record of delivering results across a diverse project portfolio by driving strategic, scientific, financial and people performance.
- Strong leader - able to articulate a vision for disease- agnostic Discovery missions, set direction and inspire commitment for preclinical Discovery.
- Ability to manage internal expertise, capacity and resources to drive governance and decision-making regarding scientific portfolio support and technology development.
- Is future orientated and strategic in thinking style.
- Proven capability to express complex technological ideas in a clear and compelling way to engage and influence multiple stakeholder groups.
- Strong financial acumen with ability to assess and drive significant technological investments.
- Robust decision making informed by business and financial acumen and an understanding of competitor strategy.
- Generates exceptional results by influencing, driving performance and collaborating across project boundaries.
- Global cross-IMED mind-set, with expertise in developing cross-functional operating models.
Please click on the Apply button. Please include a short note outlining why you are interested in the role and why you think you are suitable.
In case you have difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please call Chidozie Orji on +44 207 4400 671 or upload your CV on our website - www.proclinical.com.
A full job description is available on request.
ProClinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.
ProClinical is pleased to advertise an exciting vacancy for an R&D Scientist in one of the world's leading and most renowned pharmaceutical companies.