Senior Scientist, Discovery
Proclinical is currently recruiting for a Senior Scientist of Discovery with a biotechnology company located in Gaithersburg, MD. Successful candidate will be responsible for protein purification and characterization, protein structure analysis and structure-based vaccine antigen design. Incumbent should have an in-depth understanding of genetic engineering, protein chemistry, and structural biology. The ability to understand and interpret complex data is essential and the position requires strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Conduct UF/DF for buffer exchange and protein concentration methods.
- Optimize chromatography methods for protein purification.
- Analyze protein structure data to aid rational design of novel vaccine antigen.
- Work closely and advise preclinical, product development, analytical development and formulation group.
- Characterize vaccine antigen with biochemical, biophysical and immunological methods.
- Review current scientific literatures for new technologies in vaccine research.
- Perform AKTA explorer, Avant and Pilot.
- Present scientific findings at internal and external meetings and write research papers.
Skills and Requirements:
- PhD in relevant scientific discipline with 5 years of industry experience; may include post-doctoral experience. Candidates without PhDs may be considered if they have earned a Master's and have 8+ years of directly relevant experience, or have earned a Bachelors and have 10+ years of directly relevant experience.
- Hands on experience with protein purification techniques including chromatography and filtration. Able to operate AKTA Avant/Explorer instrument.
- Experience with rational vaccine antigen design is preferred.
- Experience in protein purification to support current and new recombinant vaccine discovery program and reagent generation.
- Experience in purification process scale-up and scale-down.
- Experience with HPLC is preferred.
- Familiar with Ion exchange, size exclusion, HIC and affinity chromatography.
- Knowledge of molecular biology and next generation sequencing is preferred.
- Experience working with membrane proteins from viruses is preferred.
- Experience with insect cell and baculovirus expression system is a plus.
- Knowledge of FDA and ICH regulatory guidelines and cGMP requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a team environment and adapt to changing priorities.
If you are having difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please contact Phil Sawyer at (+1) 617-545-5923.
Proclinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.
Proclinical Staffing is an equal opportunity employer.