Senior Manager Data Science
An attractive job opportunity has arisen at a global and leading multinational pharmaceutical company who is seeking a Senior Manager Data Science to work at their Belgium site in Rixensart. The company employs 100,000 personnel across 150 countries, working across multiple therapy areas including cardiovascular, oncology, and respiratory.
- Overseeing and coordinating Data Science and Digital Innovation activities on multiple Vaccines R&D projects in partnership with Project teams and Pre-clinical laboratories.
- Contributing to defining the Data Science scientific strategy, processes and objectives ensuring alignment with the Head of Personalised Vaccinology, DSDI and the company's Vaccines R&D strategy.
- Coaching and mentoring a local team of Data Scientists acting as reference for one R&D Center or specific business areas in Vaccines R&D.
- Performing and leading up to four PhD students / post-docs for:
- Bioinformatics/data analytics activities for Vaccines R&D; data and knowledge integration for hypothesis generation; data modelling for innovative immunological assays, high-dimensional readouts and microbial genomics.
- Development of tailored systems and analytical models for explorative analytics of pre-clinical, clinical, and epidemiological data; development of analysis pipelines using combinations of heterogeneous, high dimensional datasets and tools.
- Advise on study design, readout selection and data formats, data analysis strategies.
- Preparation and publication of scientific papers and congress reports.
- Supporting the Head of Personalised Vaccinology on the people management of the local staff and coaching/mentoring of other data scientists.
- Fostering innovation within DSDI and keep abreast of the new and most recent developments and innovations in the fields relevant for the role.
- Communicating DSDI activities, results, and principles to internal stakeholders and scientific community, translating complex solutions into simple, understandable and effective messages.
- Leading or coordinating scientific interactions with multiple partners or international collaborations outside the company's vaccines.
Skills and Requirements:
- Four years of direct/matrix people management and international leadership responsibilities (e.g. principal investigator for international R&D projects in relevant areas).
- Eight years of relevant scientific experience.
- Proven capacity to use the theoretical background and education to solve actual problems of R&D projects working and leading small teams in a cross-functional setting.
- Good understanding of the Vaccines or Pharmaceutical industry.
- Experienced in leading innovative cross-functional initiatives from inception through to completion involving both multi-disciplinary and geographically remote partners.
- PhD in Data and Computer Sciences, Complex Systems, Mathematics and Physics, Chemical or Biological and Systems Engineering, Bioinformatics, immunogenomics, systems immunology, Computational Biology or equivalent.
- Demonstrated strong proficiency/publication record in one or more of the following areas:
- Bio-informatics and genomics (including single cell genomics) applied to immunological questions and/or vaccinology.
- Systems immunology, vaccinology and immuno-genomics.
- Data mining and machine learning, multivariate biomarkers discovery and validation for patient stratification.
- Data modelling for individual and integrated analysis of innovative immune assays (e.g high dimensional flow cytometry, systems serology), high-dimensional readouts.
- Computational and molecular epidemiology.
- Strong programming (R and Python), data analytics and modelling skills.
- Knowledge of deep learning and awareness of its applications in biology.
- Strong Leadership skills in a scientifically oriented environment.
- Good line management skills.
- Strong communication skills, ability to simplify complex problems and communicate complex solutions in a simple and effective manner.
- Strong networking skills and fluent interactions with one or more scientific communities.
- Ability to influence performance in a matrix organisation through negotiation and communication.
- Proactive, teamwork spirit, motivated, resilient and focused.
- Fluent English (spoken and written).
- French and Italian language(s) a plus.
Please click on the Apply button. Please include a short note outlining why you are interested in the role and why you think you are suitable.
In case you have difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please contact Tom Magenis at 0203 854 1050 or upload your CV on our website - www.proclinical.com.
A full job description is available on request.
Proclinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.