Director of Laboratory Operations
A life changing opportunity has arisen for a Director of Laboratory Operations, overseeing projects all across the UK. The post holder will set up and lead multiple clinical diagnostic teams responsible for delivering Covid-19 testing services to support the UK response to the pandemic. The services are delivered through highly specialised mobile laboratories in conjunction with existing permanent laboratories provided by the NHS or through Ecolog contract partners. Testing comprises RT-qPCR in a highly streamlined, high-throughput workflow using multiple levels of automation.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's UK laboratory operations and performance.
- Responsible for the overall operation and administration of laboratories, including the employment of competent local laboratory management personnel, to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Ensure that testing systems developed and used for each of the tests performed in the laboratories provide quality laboratory services for all aspects of test performance, which includes the pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic phases of testing.
- Ensure that the physical plants and environment conditions of laboratories are appropriate for the testing performed and provide a safe work environment.
- Establish and maintain quality control and quality assurance programs to assure the quality of laboratory services provided and to identify failures in quality as they occur.
- Establish, review and/or approve operations standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and complete on-time delivery.
- Oversee the development of the organization's plans and programs in evaluation of long-range planning and regulatory action on operational performance.
- Foster a unified culture and promotes a process for collaboration, cooperation, sharing of information and mutual teamwork.
- Monitor utilization patterns of lab services and advise Leadership and other appropriate staff of developing trends in clinical service needs.
- Establish and maintain lines of communication with internal and external customers in order to ensure a timely response to new clinical service trends and programme planning.
- Ensure operational adherence to currently accepted technical service standards for laboratory medicine.
- Ensure operational adherence to applicable policies and procedures by all technical and operational staff.
- Participate in the development and implementation of operations budget to ensure compliance with organizational expenditure requirements.
- Lead and direct the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required.
Skills and Requirements
- Honours degree in relevant science for example Clinical/Medical Microbiology. MSc or PhD in Virology (or a related discipline) highly desirable.
- Clinical Scientist Registration with the Health Professions Council or equivalent is desirable, but not mandatory for consideration for this role;
- In-depth knowledge of molecular methods in clinical virology including highly automated, robotic workflows, in particularly involving real time PCR methods and their interpretation software;
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory frameworks governing laboratory operations;
- In-depth knowledge of business and management principles, and 10+ years' experience managing multiple laboratories;
- Proven customer service focus, ability to work collaboratively and in a matrix;
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities;
- Exceptional planning and organisational skills with excellent attention to detail;
- Good knowledge of Laboratory Health and safety standards;
- Excellent communication skills and able to work across a fast-paced, diverse and multicultural organisational team.
Proclinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.