Associate Director Pathology - (R&I Safety)
Proclinical has partnered with a large biotech in search for an Associate Director with a speciality in Respiratory and Immunology. You will oversee the organisation that develops innovative science to find treatments for those with R&I diseases. This is an international department based across Sweden, UK and US.
We are looking for an experienced veterinary pathologist with in depth toxicologic and discovery pathology expertise to help us deliver safe and effective new medicines to patients. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of highly skilled pathologists embedded within R&I Safety. The role is broad in scope and offers significant potential for professional development.
Skills and Requirements
- Work closely with discovery safety specialists and toxicologists, providing expert anatomic pathology support to multiple R&I drug projects across all development stages
- Contribute to the design and assessment of investigative safety studies ensuring timely delivery of high quality pathology data
- Build effective cross-functional networks across CPSS and Early R&I and actively seek opportunities for collaboration (e.g. animal model development, AI-based image analysis, spatial transcriptomics, mechanistic toxicology, in vivo imaging)
- Peer review outsourced toxicology studies, working collaboratively with CRO pathologists to achieve consensus and deliver accurate pathology data and interpretation
- For individual drug projects, ensure consistency of CRO pathology outputs across toxicology studies and appropriate integration of pathology data within study reports and regulatory submissions
- Collaborate with discovery safety specialists and toxicologists in the design and implemention of investigative strategies to de-risk significant preclinical pathology findings
- Contribute to the authoring and review of regulatory submissions (IND, CTA, NDA, BLA) and provide support for regulatory defence, pharmacovigilance, due diligence and responses to regulatory authorities
- Communicate the significance and impact of emerging pathology data to project teams and senior leaders with clarity and authority
- Actively participate in the wider global pathology community, engaging in peer support, knowledge sharing and professional development activities
Skills and Requirements
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine
- Postgraduate pathology qualification (FRCPath, DACVP, DECVP or DJSTP)
- Genuinely broad cross-species toxicologic pathology expertise with extensive experience of histopathological evaluation and/or peer review of acute, subchronic, chronic and carcinogenicity studies
- Preferably 5 years or more experience of providing discovery and toxicologic pathology support and acting as a pathology representative on multiple drug development projects
- Strong familiarity with complementary data sets (e.g. clinical pathology, IHC, ISH, MSI); ability to integrate pathology findings with a range of traditional and novel endpoints and provide contextualised interpretation for project teams
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly convey complex pathology data to a wide range of stakeholders
- Willingness to embrace and champion the use of digital technology for pathology peer review and delivery of quantitative pathology data
- Specific experience of inhalation/respiratory system pathology, immunopathology, new modalities (including RNA therapeutics) and animal models of respiratory disease would be advantageous; additional formal training in veterinary clinical pathology also highly desirable
ProClinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.