Director Scientific Communications
Proclinical is seeking a Director Scientific Communications for a global pharmaceutical company located in Boston, MA.
In this role, the Director will develop collaborative and productive relationships with external investigators, thought leaders and authors. These efforts will ultimately drive timely execution of publication plans and result in high-quality and impactful scientific and clinical abstracts, posters, oral presentations, manuscripts, and congress symposia. The Director will be responsible for the identification and supervision of medical communications agencies and may also work/oversee medical writing consultants.
Must be eligible to work in the US.
- Leading the creation of global communications strategies and publication plans for therapeutic areas within the neurology franchise in accordance with the existing global brand strategies
- Serving as Chair of the Global Publication Team(s) for assigned products and indication
- Leading the timely execution of publication plans to produce high quality, accurate and impactful deliverables including abstracts, posters, oral presentations, manuscripts, and slide decks
- Planning, developing and implementing external medical education plans including congress symposia, and other scientific programs that communicate important information to the medical and scientific community.
- Researching, planning, leading and communicate scientific coverage of relevant congresses, including pre- and post-congress summaries of data presented and their impact to the company and brand strategy
- Establishing strong collaborative relationships and work in close partnership with other members of Global Medical Communications (Medical Information/Medical Review, Training, and Med Comms Excellence), Global Medical Affairs (HEOR, MSLs) and key stakeholders internally (product teams, clinical teams, biostats) and externally (e.g., opinion leaders, patient advocacy groups, professional societies).
- Reviewing publications, slide presentations and other scientific materials for content and positioning
- Developing/updating key strategic documents (Scientific Platforms), with consistent coverage of the competitive and scientific landscape.
- Developing and evolve tactical publication plans based on therapeutic area medical objectives.
- Managing and supervise internal medical communications team members as well as external medical communications agencies.
- Responsible for budget oversight and tracking as well as manage all financial and contractual aspects of assigned projects
- Participating in training on as well as ensure compliance with the Company Publication Policy and associated processes
Skills and Requirements:
- Advanced degree: PhD, PharmD, or MD
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience in a pharmaceutical company or Medical Communications agency, or at least 15 years of independent Scientific Communications / Publications consultancies for the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Strong experience in strategic publication planning (including scientific platforms), tactical publication planning and implementation, and the planning and development of medical educational materials
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing contractual and pharmaceutical industry compliance requirements for external medical education activities including congress symposia
- Ability to work independently to develop strategic and tactical publication plans
- Ability to rapidly develop expertise and critical knowledge in new therapeutic areas to support pipeline, investigational, and marketed projects from a strategic and tactical perspective
- Ability to interpret and organize highly complex scientific data, including experience reviewing pre-clinical and clinical trial data and output from statistical analysis programs
- Must be skilled, detail-oriented writer with demonstrated ability to critically interpret and contextualize clinical data for translation to physicians, patients and payers
- Strong success in achieving acceptance of abstracts/manuscripts into the peer-reviewed literature
- Strong working knowledge of current good publication practices, guidelines, and ethics.
- Demonstrated experience in use and oversight of industry-standard publication management system(s)
- Demonstrated experience in having a leadership role in designing scientific communications strategy and programs in alignment with corporate strategies
- Understanding of the clinical development process, especially clinical study and global health outcomes data.
- Ability to lead teams, including medical publications agencies to plan, write and develop abstracts, posters, oral presentations, manuscripts, slide decks and content for scientific and educational programs
- Experience in working closely with KOLs and authors
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to influence without direct authority
- Demonstrated experience managing competing priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to travel (US and International) as necessary
- The duties of this role are generally conducted in an office environment. As is typical of an office-based role, employees must be able, with or without an accommodation to: use a computer; engage in communications via phone, video, and electronic messaging; engage in problem solving and non-linear thought, analysis, and dialogue; collaborate with others; maintain general availability during standard business hours.
- Advance life sciences degree: PhD, PharmD, MD in Life Science, CMPP certified
- Experience in planning and implementation of formal peer-to-peer engagements (advisory boards, workshops for the planning and development of scientific publications or medical education materials)
- Background in rare diseases
If you are having difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please contact Merna Hermiz at +(1) 323-306-2409 or email@example.com.
Proclinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.
Proclinical Staffing is an equal opportunity employer.