Associate Director/Director, Epidemiology
An exciting organisation has an opportunity for an Associate Director with a speciality in Epidemiology - Respiratory and Immunology Vaccine. This role is based in Cambridge, at a company that is dedicated to using science to bring about success.
The Associate Director/ Director, Epidemiology is a strategic as well as scientific role and involves designing and executing effective and efficient epidemiology strategy for drug and enablement projects, sometimes at a global level. It requires interaction with diverse scientific, technical and business experts to ensure scientific quality and timely effective project delivery while adhering to ethical requirements and responding to business needs. The incumbent has substantial experience in epidemiological research in drug development or in a closely related academic research area. The role holder consults with more senior staff as necessary to provide specialist guidance and direction to project teams, senior leaders, and other colleagues to ensure optimal management of high-impact project opportunities and risks.
The Associate Director/ Director, works independently in the design, execution, analysis, interpretation, and internal and external communication of specific epidemiological studies. This role requires taking a leadership role in a range of activities, including delivery of experienced epidemiology strategy, support, and scientific leadership to project teams and the epidemiology global skills group, at all stages of pharmaceutical development.
The Associate Director/Director, Epidemiology manages externally commissioned research projects, which includes establishing, maintaining, and expanding relationships to partner effectively with external experts and research groups to negotiate time frames, provide recommendations on resource requirements, and ensure delivery of the tasks as agreed.
The Associate Director/Director, Epidemiology promotes good epidemiological practice and represents the company's position when interacting with external experts, collaborative groups, and contract research organizations; and will keep abreast of epidemiological developments within academia, regulatory, and among key opinion leaders.
Skills and Requirements
- Ph.D. or equivalent in epidemiology or related health science field and experience in the health care environment. Alternatively, an MSc or MPH with substantial experience in the health care environment or equivalent.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry or in closely related academic epidemiological research
- Experience managing complex medical evidence plans
- Sustained productivity in epidemiological research as manifest by successful design, execution, and publication of original epidemiological research relevant to drug discovery and development (e.g., drug safety) or commercialisation in peer-reviewed journal
- Experience in utilising secondary data and conducting primary data collection studies
- Emerging recognition by the external scientific communities as an expert in the application of epidemiology to areas relevant to drug development and commercialisation
- Able to provide critical appraisal to study designs and published studies
- Excellent knowledge in epidemiological methodology and ability to apply it within the pharmaceutical industry at an international level
- Sustained record of epidemiological productivity at a strategic as well as an operational level
- Able to effectively engage and consult with recognised key external scientific experts
- Proactive and able to work independently
ProClinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.