Material Characterisation Microscopist
We are seeking a material characterisation microscopist with demonstrated experience and
proficiency in the practical application of microscopy and materials characterisation to support pharmaceutical product manufacturing.
The role primarily requires skills to investigate and identify particulate matter in products and to troubleshoot product manufacturing issues. The successful candidate will work effectively within a team of highly motivated and self-driven colleagues to provide timely material characterisation support to the company's Global Supply Network. You will provide high quality technical support to the organisation through the application of light and electron microscopy and complementary materials characterisation techniques. The role will also require a broad knowledge and understanding of particle characterisation techniques and solid-state analysis methods. In the role you will be responsible for the direct interaction with customers, leading experimental planning, execution of experiments and the communication of results. The role will require close collaboration with colleagues within the company's Global Supply organisation and centre function groups, to ensure that appropriate microscopical methods are exploited to complete particulate matter and troubleshooting investigations.
- Identification of particulate matter in raw materials, solid and liquid products, aseptic and biological products using analytical microscopy.
- Utilisation of analytical microscopy skills to deliver clear insights and understanding into the structures of powders, liquid suspensions, primary packaging and other pharmaceutical materials to interpret and explain atypical behaviour.
- Determination of physical attributes of API's, excipients and pharmaceutical materials using a range of characterisation techniques.
- Evaluating and interpreting analytical data and reporting results through presentations and technical reports, especially the translation of scientific output and technical content into a language understood by a wider, non-expert customer base.
Skills and Requirements:
- Degree in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Materials Science or a relevant discipline.
- Technical experience and practical abilities in solving pharmaceutical problems
- Technical ability in the application of analytical microscopy to problem solving.
- Practical experience in the use of light microscopy, for the physical and chemical characterisation and identification of particulate matter.
- Practical proficiency in the application of scanning electron microscopy and knowledge of X-ray microanalysis for the examination and characterisation of a wide range of materials.
- Demonstrated capability in the identification of organic materials using infrared microscopy/spectroscopy.
- Adept at the preparation of specimens for analysis.
- Broad understanding and application of particle characterisation, powder X-ray diffraction, spectroscopic and thermal analysis methods and how they relate to the characterisation of pharmaceutical materials.
- Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of light microscopy techniques applicable for the analysis and identification of particulate matter and solid forms of API.
- Experience in self-driven experimental plans with proven impactful outputs.
- A meticulous and tenacious approach to problem solving which is both innovative and creative.
- Must be practical and dexterous to enable the handling and preparation of a wide range of sample types for analysis, including bulk powders and single small particles.
- Has an enquiring and inquisitive mind.
- Has an innate ability to select and apply the most appropriate techniques with which to analyse material-limited samples.
- Profiency in the identification of particulate matter using microscopy and spectroscopic methods across all pharmaceutical platforms.
- Demonstrated understanding of physical characterisation methods.
- Understanding of the principles of solid state properties and analytical techniques used to characterise them.
- Evidence of excellence in laboratory and experimental skills.
- Proven practical experience in developing project plans with proven successful outcomes.
- Knowledge of the workings of pharmaceutical manufacturing, and associated processes.
- Sound scientific judgement in own work and in problem solving.
- Good awareness of laboratory safety and practises.
- Sound skills in literature searching and application of findings.
- A proven achiever, e.g. targets met, problems solved.
- Able to effectively critique ideas and investigate multiple ideas concurrently, performing key experiments to rapidly identify an appropriate solution own group and project teams.
Please click on the Apply button. Please include a short note outlining why you are interested in the role and why you think you are suitable.
In case you have difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please call Chidozie Orji on +44 207 4400 671 or upload your CV on our website - www.proclinical.com.
A full job description is available on request.
ProClinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.
ProClinical is pleased to advertise an exciting vacancy for an R&D Scientist in one of the world's leading and most renowned pharmaceutical companies.