Manager EH & S
ProClinical is seeking aa Health and Safety Manager, to be based in Amsterdam on a permanent basis. Reporting into the Director Engineering & Manufacturing, the Manager, EH&S will provide expert guidance for leading and driving implementation of the site's (bio) safety program, ensuring compliance with both (EU and local) regulatory and company requirements and providing safety support. He/she establishes, implements and maintains a variety of occupational health, safety and environmental programs to assure the highest possible degree of safety for employees at all departments.
- Prioritizes biosafety related risks and develops and assists with implementing corrective action and preventive action plans. Monitors and communicates overall status of plans to site management
- Manages compliance with EH&S, including records maintenance, planning and coordinating toxicological studies and assisting with licensing and registration activities
- Leads monthly safety meetings and distributes meeting minutes to management
- Prepares and approves annual reports for appropriate government and environmental agencies
- Performs accident investigations and provides prompt follow-up with corrective and preventative actions
- Proactively identifies improvement opportunities and collaborates with Engineering, Operations and R&D personnel to leverage best practices and drive continuous improvement efforts
- Maintains the required technical competencies, proficiencies, and regulatory knowledge to ensure responsibilities are effectively executed
- Technical expertise needs to include but is not limited to: exposure assessment & monitoring of biological operations; control strategies and prevention, engineering controls, work practice controls and personal protective equipment (PPE) including respiratory protection and applicable regulatory
- Manages the collection and pick up of hazardous waste. Maintains and tracks waste manifests and completes all reporting to regulatory agencies
- Establishes and maintains excellent communication processes to ensure site management, R&D and manufacturing as well as (new) employees understand the workplace hazards, exposures and risks, as well as the needed control strategies
- Provides timely, high quality EHS technical support for new projects and modifications to ensure proper biosafety design review, containment verification, as well as routine /maintenance evaluation after and before process/equipment installed/implemented
- Conducts safety self-assessments & audits including biosafety
- Designs, conducts and oversees effective biosafety training program for both management, employees and contractors.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Microbiology/Biotechnology as well as an expectation to have or obtain professional certification in industrial (occupational) hygiene or certification in Safety Engineering (Hogere Veiligheidskunde)
- At least 8 years of experience in managing risks associated with biological agents and GMO legislation, full understanding of containment systems and concepts
- Experience in leading the integration of excellent Biosafety processes in a laboratory environment into chemical/biological operations or similar industries
- Ability to analyze data, interpret results/ trends, decide appropriate, cost effective corrective actions and provide clear recommendations to both management and employees
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, ability to work transparently and with a sense of urgency across various businesses, functions and cultures
- Excellent technical leadership and communication (oral & written) skills in Dutch and English.
- Demonstrated understanding of key regulatory requirements (e.g. Arbo, GGO, NFPA and OSHA rules and regulations) and their application to a laboratory and manufacturing environment, particularly in the following key areas: Environment (waste management, lab safety, energy efficiency, and sustainability) & EHS management systems
- Skilled in the standards, concepts, practices, and procedures within the health, safety and environmental fields
- Confined Space Entry, LOTO implementation/training, respirator implementation/training and health programs.
- Only candidates in possession of a valid EU work permit will be considered.
Please click on the Apply button. Please include a short note outlining why you are interested in the role and why you think you are suitable.
In case you have difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please call Maartje Ramakers on +44 207 4400 632 or upload your CV on our website - www.proclinical.com.
A full job description is available on request.
ProClinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.